Sunday, March 05, 2006

 

Democrat State Rep May Run For Secretary of State


Morgan City woman may seek state office

ADVOCATE
Capitol news bureau
(excerpt)

State Rep. Carla Dartez, D-Morgan City, said last week she wants to run for secretary of state this fall.

“I’m waiting for my poll numbers to come in right now. The big determinant is if I poll strongly in my district, my region,” Dartez said.

“I just feel I could do a real good job,” said Dartez.

“It’s a golden opportunity, an open field…. If I don’t win, what do I lose? Nothing.”

Dartez, who worked in ex-Gov. Mike Foster’s campaign, does not have to give up her House seat to run. The Sept. 30 special election was called to fill the office held by the late Secretary of State Fox McKeithen, who died last July as a result of complications from a fall.

Democratic state Sen. Sharon Broome of Baton Rouge is also considering a run. “I’m still talking to my supporters. I’m trying to come up with a final decision,” Broome said.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?